Wednesday, 18 January 2023 09:00

How to Change Information on Your Driver License, Permit or Non-Driver ID

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Driver license, permit or non-driver ID 

You must visit your local DMV office and bring proof of the change.

If you have a Standard license, permit or non-driver ID 

Please note: If you have a EDL or REAL ID, see instructions further down the page.

You can change or update your legal name on your Standard document by mail and order a new DMV document if 

  • you have a Social Security Number (SSN) on file with the DMV and you already changed your name with the Social Security Administration 2
    • note: the name you request on your new DMV document must exactly match the name on your Social Security Card
  • you do not have a commercial  driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP)
  • you do not need to change any other information (for example, height, gender, address, etc.)

To change by mail

Example of a (good) signature within the box:

Example of a 'good' signature that does not go outside of the box.

Example of a (bad) signature that crosses the edge of the box:

Example of a 'bad' signature that goes outside of the box.

  • provide a copy of your new Social Security Card 
    • the name on your card must exactly match the name requested for your new document
  • provide a copy of your current "Standard" New York State license, permit or non-driver ID
  • provide a copy of one or more of these proofs of your name change
    • government issued marriage certificate
    • government issued court order
    • amended birth certificate
    • divorce papers (must indicate name change)
    • naturalization papers
  • provide a check or money order for $12.50 (for license or permit) or $5.00 (non-driver ID) payable to 'Commission of Motor Vehicles'

Mail to

Department of Motor Vehicles
55 Hanson Place, 6th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11217

If you have a REAL ID or EDL license, permit or non-driver ID (or if you are not eligible to mail your Standard, CDL or CLP)

When you change your name on your REAL ID or EDL license, permit or non-driver ID, you must also update your photo.

To update a legal change of name on DMV records, bring these items to DMV office 

Change or correct date of birth

If your date of birth is not correct, bring to your local DMV office proof of your age as listed on proofs of identity and date of birth for NY State driver license, learner permit or non-driver ID.

Find office locations

Change gender

You can change the gender on your license or ID card online or by completing the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) MV-44 and visiting an office.

Find office locations

Gender X on a NYS photo document

Beginning May 27, 2022, in accordance with the Gender Recognition Act, DMV began processing applications at all DMV Offices to allow existing applicants to update their NYS photo documents to reflect an “X” gender option and new applicants to apply for a NYS photo document with an “X” gender option. This can be done by completing the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) MV-44 or you can update your sex identifier online. DMV’s crash records system was also updated in May 2022. DMV’s traffic ticketing systems will be updated to allow a gender X option in the summer of 2023.

Correct an error (mistake) on your record

If  we made an error on your document, use the Ask DMV a Question service to request a correction. We may be able to correct it without you coming to a DMV office.  There is no fee for a correction.

Change photo

You must go to a DMV office. 

When you renew

  • there is no additional fee to update your photo

When it is not time to renew

Bring to a DMV office

Find office locations


For amended permit or license: $12.50

For amended non-driver ID card: $5.00  4

Once ordered, your new document will come in 2 weeks

We will give you a temporary non-photo driver license, learner permit or non-driver ID at the DMV. You will receive your new document in the mail in about 2 weeks.

Check the mailing status


Death of a family member

If your loved one has passed away, please mail a copy of the death certificate and a photo copy of their license or ID (if you have it) to the DMV. This will prevent further mailings or identity theft. 

DMV License Production Bureau
P.O. Box 2688 ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0668


Read 426 times Last modified on Saturday, 18 March 2023 12:48

Quick Menu

We're Hiring Driving Instructors!

Please email your resume to

Long Island City Location

Manhattan Location

Brooklyn Location

© Revolution Driving Schools Manhattan Queens. All rights reserved.